Changes in 0.9
- Now supports keyboard input from X11 keyboard (ISO 8859-1 only) or the
optional on-screen popup keyboard (European, Katakana, Hirangana). Output
in Katakana/Hirangana is also possible using the "f12x13ja" fixed-width font.
This work will later be generalised to cover more fonts and writing systems.
- 8-bit and 4-bit colour are now supported (the latter on "real" LCD
screens only, not in the X11 emulation).
- Improved conversion from indexed to linear ColorModel, leading to much
faster rendering of indexed-colour images.
- Security & Crypto
- Class java.math.BigInteger, used for cryptographic calculations,
is now complete. Added javax.crypto library.
The Cryptix library runs on Wonka 0.9.
- Basic support for security configuration using wonka.security,
- As with release 0.8.1, the security code has not yet been subjected to a
full audit, so don't rely on it.
- Command-line interface
- Improved support for options such as -Xmx (e.g. -Xmx=16MB limits heap to
16 MB), -Xbootclasspath. Default bootclasspath is now
- If no -classpath parameter is given, Wonka will now search for an
environment variable WONKA_CLASSPATH, or failing that CLASSPATH. If
neither are found, the classpath used is '.'.
- In connection with these changes, the default name for the file containing
the system classes has changed from classes.zip to wre.jar.
- VM Internals
- Further reductions in heap usage.
- Work in Progress
- Some aspects of JDWP are working - can suspend/resume threads, examine
- Work has begun on implementing RMI.
- The port to eCos is now in a usable state, with AWT support but so far
no networking: see the text and README files in
open-wonka/kernel/o4e for more details. A port to Win32 is
also underway, but so far works only in text mode.